The SCORE Portal is an innovative, nonprofit initiative to provide residents and residency programs with high-quality educational materials and a structured program for self-learning in all areas of general surgery. The content of the portal is aligned
with the SCORE Curriculum Outline, a list of topics to be covered in a five-year general surgery residency.
Quick Access to Learning Resources
The portal contains more than 750 modules covering four competency areas. The portal also features:
- Chapters from 13 leading surgical textbooks
- 2000+ multiple-choice questions for resident self-assessment
- 200+ narrated operative videos
- Hundreds of radiologic and anatomic images from StatDx®
- This Week in SCORE® (TWIS) - a topic of the week program
- Annals of Surgery online journal club
- 29 modules from MDContent on systems-based practice
- Direct links to UpToDate® related content (subscription required)
All in one easy-to-use website! All materials are reviewed and approved by SCORE.
This Week in SCORE
A subscription to the SCORE Portal includes access to This Week in SCORE (TWIS) — a sequence of suggested topics over a two-year cycle. Each week a new topic is featured, along with the related modules and a new 10-question quiz. TWIS provides a systematic way for users to cover the portal's content. Residents and training programs are able to track performance on
including on individual quiz questions.
TWIS may be used by training programs for didactic conference
planning or by residents to create self-study plans. There are also four
weeks "off" per year, to allow time for catching up or individual
The SCORE Modules
Modules on the SCORE Portal contain:
- Written by surgical faculty with direct links to related resources
- Open-ended questions to allow residents to assess their understanding of the topic
Text Resources and Videos
- Textbook chapters, practice guidelines, procedure guidelines, and operative videos
- Self-assessment Quizzes
- Answer multiple-choice questions on that topic and view your score
Residents can also mark modules as started or complete and track their progress over the course of their residency. Program administrators and faculty can assign modules and/or resources and view reports on residents' progress by category, module, PGY level or resident.
More than 2000 multiple-choice questions are available to help residents assess their knowledge. Users can create custom quizzes to test their knowledge in one or several areas. Correct and incorrect answers are provided along with explanations and references.
Benefits of Using the SCORE Portal
The SCORE Portal is a comprehensive online resource that facilitates surgical education at all stages of training.
Residents can use the portal to:
- prepare for operative cases
- prepare for weekly conferences and other events
- improve their fund of knowledge about patient care
- learn about topics not emphasized in their current curriculum
- build their own self-study/learning plan
- study for exams
Programs can use the portal to:
- post program news and announcements
- assign modules in preparation for weekly conferences or other events
- incorporate materials from the website into presentations and face-to-face teaching
- use the open-ended assessment questions as the basis for discussion in group teaching sessions
- create rotation-based curricula incorporating SCORE Portal resources
- Internet Explorer 7 or later (Firefox, Safari, Chrome)
- Flash Player 9
How to Cite:
Colletti L, Bell R. Cholangitis. The SCORE Portal. http://www.surgicalcore.org. Published July 2009. Accessed January 18, 2013.
Colletti, Lisa and Richard Bell. "Cholangitis." The SCORE Portal. http://www.surgicalcore.org. (accessed January 18, 2003).
Colletti, Lisa, and Richard Bell. "Cholangitis." The SCORE Portal. Surgical Council on Resident Education Inc., Jul 2009. Web. 18 Jan 2013.